Monday, October 5, 2015
Fantastic Beginnings: The Contest
After an unanimous "yes, do this game" from all you, here it is: the Fantastic Beginnings Game as created by yours truly.
For those of you who didn't read my last post, here are the rules:
1: Read all story beginnings. (They would be numbered for your convenience)
2: Decide which book you think they came from. (Give a title next to the number of the story's beginning in your comment)
3. Publish your comment. (I would not publish any of the comments until the contest "time" was over.)
4: Each correct answer will be worth 10 "points".
5: Please don't look the answers up until AFTER you publish your comment. It wouldn't be fair, or fun, if all of you get 100% on this. Be honest.
And now, without further ado: here are the fantastic beginnings:
1. "A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born..."
2. "A wild, ringing neigh shrilled up from the hold of the Spanish galleon."
3. "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."
4. "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."
5. "It all began when..."
6. "In a hole in the ground there lived..."
7. "Once there were four children whose names were..."
8. "It was a dark and stormy night."
9. "I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country..."
10. "The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting."
11. "Once upon a time there lived a dragon. His name was..."
12. "If you want to find Cherry-Tree Lane all you have to do is ask the policeman at the cross-roads."
13. "As I walked through the wilderness of the world, I came to a place where there was a den."
On Monday (maybe a smidge later, depending on how busy I am) I'll post the answers as well as how many questions you got right and how many "points" you earned. Please make a comment as soon as possible or you might end up not being able to participate. Have fun coming up with answers! :)
And just like that, February is over...thus enabling me to post my FIRST end-of-the-month recap post because I missed January. (Whoops notw...